Prof. Hsi-Tseng Chou (周錫增) received the B.S. degree in electrical engineering from National Taiwan University in 1988, and the M.S. and Ph. D. degrees in also electrical engineering from the Ohio State University (OSU) in 1993 and 1996, respectively. After completing his military obligation, Prof. Chou joined ElectroScience Laboratory (ESL) in OSU as a graduate research associate during 1991-1996 and as a post-doctoral researcher during 1996-1998. He is currently a distinguished professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taiwan.
Prof. Chou research interests focus on the high-gain and smart antenna technologies (including antenna-in-package (AiP) and antenna-in-module (AiM)), and covers a wide range of technologies to realize them including antenna electromagnetic theories, numerical simulation techniques and measurement techniques of antenna characterization. His team is one of the key research teams in the world to develop the asymptotic high frequency techniques in both real and complex spaces, and has develop numerous Uniform Geometrical Theory of Diffraction (UTD) solutions based ray and beam techniques to interpret the radiation mechanisms of electrically large antennas. These techniques have been implemented in the antenna design codes, and have been demonstrated to be highly efficient in the design of high-gain antennas including reflector, reflectarray and phased array of antennas.
Prof. Chou works very closely with antenna industries to develop the antenna technologies of great potentials in industrial applications. He has been consultants to nine antenna related companies in Taiwan. He has dedicated much effort to cultivate Taiwan’s new antenna industries from startup including satellite DTV reception antennas, point-to-point microwave link antennas and outdoor mobile base station antennas industries, where the collaborating companies have now become the major worldwide suppliers. His work has led to form a “High-Gain and Smart Antenna Industrial Technologies Consortium” in Taiwan, in which an industrial cluster of high-gain antennas in especially the applications of satellite and mobile communication antennas has been formed. During his 20 years of academic career, he has collaborated with more than 36 antenna related companies and 12 research organizations in Taiwan, where most of them are very active companies in the worldwide markets.
Prof. Chou is an IEEE Fellow and IET Fellow, and an elected member of URSI International Radio Science for his contributions to the development of high-gain antennas. He has published more than 143 international journal articles, 325 international conference papers, two EM book chapters and one book. He has also filed more than 40 antenna patents. His works in education and technical researches have been well recognized by the domestic and international technical societies by receiving numerous awards. In education, he received the IEEE technical field award—Undergraduate Teaching Award in 2014, and has received the Outstanding Branch Counselor Awards from IEEE headquarter, R-10 and Taipei section in 2008, 2007 and 2008, respectively. He was also appointed as a Distinguished Lecturer by the Taiwan Electromagnetic Industry-Academia Consortium in 2013 to present technical lectures in the universities and industries. His service as the chair of IEEE AP-S Taipei chapter has made the chapter receiving the Best Chapter Award in 2012.
In the research, his works to promote industry-academia collaboration and cultivate the antenna industries in Taiwan has made him receiving the Outstanding Industry-Academia Collaboration Award (2004) from the Ministry of Education (MoE), and University’s Contribution to the Industrial Economics Award (2008) and National Award for Industry Innovation—Industry-Academia Contribution Award (2017) from Ministry of Economic Affairs (MoEA), Taiwan, respectively. His distinguished work in the high-gain antennas has made him receiving the National Award for Industry Innovation—Key Technology Elite Award in 2011 from MoEA, and Science/Technology Management Award in 2014 from the Chinese Society for Management of Technology, Taiwan. Among others, he received a Best Paper Award of Journal Publication, Best Poster Paper Award and Best Paper Award in 1998, 2014 and 2015 from OSU-ESL, PIERS and IEEE MAPE, respectively. He received the Young Scientist Research Paper Award from Academic Sinica Taiwan in 2002. He has won 7 medals (2 Golds, 3 Silvers and 2 Bronzes) for the patent competitions in Taipei International Invention Show and Technomart during 2012-2015. He was elected as the Distinguished Professor from Chinese Institute of Engineers (CIE), Chinese Institute of Electrical Engineering (CIEE) and Hsu Yo-Hsian Educational Foundation (2 times), in 2004, 2009 and (2005, 2008), respectively. He was elected as the Y-Z Chair Professor 3 times from Hsu Yo-Hsian Educational Foundation in 2006, 2007 and 2011, respectively. He was elected as the Nation’s Top 10 Rising Star in 2006 by the Central New Agency of Taiwan, the Nation’s Top Ten Young Person in 2004 from Junior Chamber International, Taiwan, and received the National Young Person Medal in 2005 from China Youth Corps, Taiwan.
Summary of Honor and Awards:
A. Government Organizations:
(1) 「National Award for Industry Innovation-Key Tech. Elite Award」 (2011) from Ministry of Economic Affairs,
(2) 「National Award for Industry Innovation- Distinguished Industry-Academia Contribution Award」 (2017) from Ministry of Economic Affairs,
(3) 「Award of University’s Contribution to Industrial Economics」 (2008) from Ministry of Economic Affairs.
(4) 「Distinguished Academic-Industrial Cooperation Award」 (2003) from Ministry of Education
(5) Product resulted from the inter-university and industries collaboration was elected as one of the year’s 11 most distinguished products in Hsin-Chu National Science Park of Taiwan (The most largest and important science park of Taiwan). (2002)
(6) 「Young Scientist Research Paper Award」 (2002) from Academia Sinica Taiwan
B. Non-profit Organizations:
(1) IEEE Technical Field Award—Undergraduate Teaching Award (2014)
(2) 「Science/Technology Management Award」 (2014) from the Chinese Society for Management Of Technology, Taiwan
(3) IEEE Antenna and Propagation Society, 「Best Chapter of 2012 Award」 (2012, Award to Prof. Chou as the Chair)
(4) 「Distinguished Electrical Engineering Professor Award」 (2009) from Chinese Institute of Electrical Engineers.
(5) 「IEEE Outstanding Branch Counselor Award」 (2008) from IEEE headquarter.
(6) 「Outstanding Student Branch Award」 (2008) from IEEE Taipei Section.
(7) 「Outstanding Branch Counselor Award」 (2007) from IEEE Region-10
(8) 「Yuan-Ze Chair Professor Award」 (2006, 2007,2011) from Hsu Yo-Hsian Educational Foundation (operated under supervision of NSC).
(9) Elected as one of the 「Nation’s Top 10 Rising Stars」 for 2006 by The Central News Agency of Taiwan.
(10) 「National Young Person Medal」 (2005) from China Youth Corps of Taiwan
(11) 「Distinguished Professor Award」 (2005, 2008) from Hsu Yo-Hsian Educational Foundation (which is operated under supervision of NSC).
(12) 「Award of the Ten Outstanding Young Persons of Taiwan」 (2004) from Junior Chamber International, Taiwan
(13) 「Distinguished Engineering Professor Award」 (2004) from Chinese Institute of Engineers.
(14) 「Distinguished Academic-Industrial Cooperation Award」 (2004, 2014) from Chinese Institute of Engineers (Awarded to Yuan-Ze University due to successful cooperation conducted by Prof. Chou in the satellite antenna designs as the highlights).
(15) 「Distinguished Young Electrical Engineer Award」 (2003) from Chinese Institute of Electrical Engineering.
(16) 「Best paper award」 (1999) from the OSU-ESL, USA.
(17) 「Young Scientist Award」 (1999) from URSI International Radio Science.
(18) 「Distinguished Service Award」 (2004) from Yuan-Ze University, Taiwan, 7 times in the distinguished category during 2004-2014.
(19) 「Distinguished Research Award」 (2003,2006, Graduated afterward) from Yuan-Ze University, Taiwan
(20) 「Best Poster Paper Award」from PIERS, GuangZhou, 2014 (Paper: H-T Chou and S-C Tuan, ”Scattering Analysis of Reflectarray Antennas Illuminated by a Point Source for Near-Field Focus Applications")
(21)「Best Paper Award」from 2015 IEEE MAPE (The 6th IEEE International Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation, and EMC Technologies (MAPE 2015) , Shanghai, China, 2015 (Paper: A Novel Moving Average Method of Vehicle Detection in the FMCW Radar Using Antennas with Different Beamwidths at K-band)
(22) "Second Place" in 2015 IWEM (~International Workshop on Electro-magnetics: Applications and Student Innovation Competition) Student Innovation Competition, Instructor of the team.
C. Medal for the Patents
(1) Silver Medal for the Patent “Multi-layer, Planar Pole-type Antenna Array Structure ( 2011/04/7, Taiwan)” in 2012 Taipei International Invention Show and Technomart.
(2) Silver Medal for the Patent “Dual Band Reflectarray Antenna (2012/05, Taiwan)” in 2012 Taipei International Invention Show and Technomart.
(3) Silver Medal for the Patent “Near-Field Focus Reflector Antenna Structure”, in 2013 Taipei International Invention Show and Technomart.
(4) Bronze Medal for the Patent “Broadband Dual-Dipole Antenna Structure”, in 2013 Taipei International Invention Show and Technomart.
(5) Gold Medal for the Patent “Adaptive Phased Switching Antenna System”, in 2014 Taipei International Invention Show and Technomart.
(6) Bronze Medal for the Patent “Dual-Beam Phased Array Antenna”, in 2014 Taipei International Invention Show and Technomart.
(7) Gold Medal for the Patent “Multi-Band and Multi-Satellite DTV Reflector Antenna and its Multi-Feed Components”, in 2015 Taipei International Invention Show and Technomart.